Declared of Cultural Interest by the Ministry of Culture of the Principality of Asturias in 1999, the temple is regarded as "one of the prototypes better defined Asturian coastal church, both in its overall value, as in the conservation of most of essential constituents".
Magnificent place of worship, located in Escalada, place and capital of the parish of San Martín de Luiña. Replacement of older one, was built in its spot in s. XVIII, on the threshold figure showing the date of 1726. Agrees with the parish of Santa Maria de Soto Luiña features widely in the temples of the coastal zone: side doors and a tower at the foot. The plant is a Latin cross, enclosed in a rectangle. The walls are plastered and remarkable ashlar masonry, the latter seen in arcs, corners, cornices and columns.
It has three naves, vaults covering all sections, except for a cruise not externally stressed that culminates in hemispherical dome, and unique chapel, the square tower of the front porch, with three bodies in the lower atrium, is stylized and the two side doors have three arches supported by pilasters of well-worked stones. The gallery, located at the foot of the nave, is available on a large arch.
In the temple floor, tile, there are signs that marked the limit to appellate vaqueiros, discriminated against by the villagers of the Navy, called "marinuetos"; and on the floor of the nave read the following warning: "Do not move from here to hear Mass on vaqueiros ", others say the site should be buried nobles, common people, strangers, vaqueiros, children ... In the main portal, the Baroque style, is carved decoration, shows that the fall fluted pilasters, molded wing pediment and finial.
The side doors also have their merit. Ornato based grooves and rosettes on display in the fascia stretched across the walls. Keeps three eighteenth-century altarpieces meritorious, assigned to the sculptor Gabriel Antonio Fernandez Oviedo, in the largest bank refers to the year it was gold, 1756. Although the images were destroyed during the Civil War, in altarpieces located on either side of the main-on the right reserved to the theme of the Passion of Christ, on the left, to the life of the Virgin remain excellent reliefs historians.
Declared of Cultural Interest by the Ministry of Culture of the Principality of Asturias in 1999, the temple is regarded as "one of the prototypes better defined Asturian coastal church, both in its overall value, as in the conservation of most of essential constituents.
Location details of San Martín de Luiña Church
This town of Cudillero council, preserve the charm of a rural village, enjoying all of nature it contains, from the sea to the mountain. Besides the Church described, contains interesting examples of the architecture of Indians.
Notably the weekly market, which has become the most important of the Council. In the past, this market is held two Saturdays a month and basically was a cattle market in which enrolled vaqueiros for their cattle. The market was disgraced by the development of the area by creating paths (caleyas) arriving almost every inhabited what where trucks access the cattle dealers. In 1996, Pedro Fernandez Mallofré, a Catalan settled in the area and driving the various operations to Fostering the development of the valley, with municipal support, held back the market, which is held every Tuesday, being the most important market in the area today.
SPA: 2 nights lodging with breakfast+ Spa 140€ with taxes (couple). SHORT TRIP: 1 night lodging with breakfast+ Spa+dinner (special menu ) in our Restaurant 120€ with taxes (couple) Only high season